Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Diseased

I have a problem.

Not severely life threatening, but it definitely affects me in ways I do not understand.

I get depressed.  Now the first time I heard of people getting depressed regularly, or when it was first mentioned as a problem people might have that won't go away, I was skeptical.  I mean really, people who just get sad for no reason over and over without any obvious trigger?  Poppycock.

But the reality is, depression is a problem.  One I only half know how to deal with.  I don't really have a clue what it stems from and I don't really like to think about it, but sometimes it just hits me.

Take today for example.  My lady friend and I have a lovely breakfast at Panera.  Thats probly the second time that we have been able to get away from people we know in public and just hang out.  It was loads of fun.  My day is going great and then around 2 o'clock I get hit by this wall.  Major joy sucker, and it isn't the first time this has happened to me, where my day is going great and I just crash.

The best way I have found to deal with depression is take my focus off of me.  The last thing I need is pity in those moments because that will only make it worse.  I need to shift my eyes from my wallowing wretch of a mud heap onto something bigger than myself.

The radio in these times is a wonderful way to be blessed.  When the song choice is left up to God he sends me exactly what I need for that moment.

It also helps to sing your heart out at the top of your lungs, so if you saw a guy who looked like he was insane driving a red pickup around 5:50 today, I'm sorry I startled you.  Get over it.

And so now, at 7 PM, I am perfectly fine.  Strange how God works eh?

No comments: